Rote, Afghan sweet bread
Home » Afghan recipes » Rote
Rote, root or rod is Afghan sweet bread. Rote is usually enjoyed with tea. There are many ways to make it.
- Put 500g butter in a Pan or cooking pot to heat up and become liquid.
- Now put it in a bowl and mix it with 1Kg flour, 250g sugar, 1 block of yeast and 1 teaspoon of (powdered) cardamom
- Let is stand for 1 hour with some plastic above the dough.
- Pre warm the oven to 200°C or 390°F
- Make the dough in a good shape and sprinkle some black cumin (nigella) like in the picture.
- Put it in the oven with some aluminumfoil below it. The time in the oven depends of your oven and amount.
- Get if out of the oven when it gets a little yellow and you can smell it.