Home » Afghan recipes » Qabuli
Qabuli (or Qabuli Palao, Kabuli, Qaabuli) is the most famous Afghan dish and everybody knows how to make it. There are different ways to make different types. So who dont knows how to make it. Here it is.
-(1kilo) lamb meat.
-5 glasses of Afghan rice
-1 glass of salad oil
- First what you have to do is cut an onion and clean the lamb meat with water. Place the meat and onions in a cooker. Add enough water so it get higher than the meat. Add 1tbs salt. Let it cook for half an hour (until the meat gets softer).
- Put 5 glasses of Afghan rice in a bowl or something else, and fill it with warm water so it softens. Let this bowl stand for at least 2 hours.
- After you've done that, pour the bowl on a watering-can so the water escapes and you maintain the only rice.
- Now take a pan and put the rice (so without water) in it.
- Put 1.5glasses of water in a small pan and 1tsp salt. Let this boil.
- Now pour this water-salt mixture on the pan with rice. Also pour 1.5glasses of salad oil and 1tsp Cumin powder on the rice.
- Making the carrots and raisin: cut the carrots in small pieces and put it in a deep fryer or normal pan in which you just make chips. Let the cutted carrots cook until it gets a bit soft like this picture (click here). At last add half glass of raisin and let it cook for to minutes with the raisin.
- Get both carrots and raisin out of the pan or deep fryer. Use the waterin-can to dry it a bit and then put the carrots and raisin above the rice. So in the rice pan.
- Span towel on the pan (it dehydrates). Now add the pan with its lid. Just put the lid on the towel and press it. Let this cook for 1.5 or 2 hours on a low temperature.
This is it. To make it really like Afghans... Put the meat first on the dish like the picture below. and then put the rice above it. Finally add the carrots and raisin.